What you will need
You will need:
Your Fleetsu GX5 device
The provided Y harness
Zip-ties and/or double sided velcro to secure harness and device
A mobile device with the Fleetsu manager app installed and access to the installer portal (or web app)
Before installation, please ensure that your vehicle or asset ignition is switched off and the asset is parked outside on a level surface with a clear view of the sky.
Step 1: Locate the OBD port in your vehicle
Locate the vehicle’s OBD (vehicle diagnostics) port. It is usually under the steering column on the right hand side. On some vehicle models, you may need to remove a covering panel.
Step 2: Connect the Y harness to the OBD port
Your Y harness keeps your device secure and out of view whilst also allowing mechanics to continue to have access to the OBD port.
The harness has three connectors:
A: Female connector that connects to the OBD port of the vehicle
B: Male connector that replaces the current vehicle OBD port and keeps it accessible
C: Male clip connector that connects to the device. The longer side of the harness.
Follow these steps to connect the harness:
Unclip the vehicle’s current OBD connector from behind. If necessary, remove it from the connector plate.
Connect harness connector A to the vehicles OBD port.
Insert harness connector B into the back of OBD connector plate, making sure it clicks into place. The B connector replaces the standard OBD connector, once connected it will look like the port has not been used or modified.
Step 3: Plug device into the Y harness and check lights
Before connecting your device, take a photo of the label/barcode on the device clearly showing the IMEI number. This will be needed in step 6.
Plug the device into connector C Make sure it is firmly seated into the connector
The device should now power up and LEDs should start flashing; confirm the device is displaying the following:
Once the LED light sequence indicate a GPS fix, a cellular connection and constant power (as defined in the above table) you are ready to proceed.
If your device LEDs are displaying something different, refer to the full LED definitions or contact support
Step 4: Activating the device on Fleetsu
1. Log into the Fleetsu manager app (the web application can also be used) and navigate to the installer Portal under the tools menu.
2. Enter the device ID (IMEI or ASN located under the barcode) into the search bar and click ‘GO.’
3. Click on the device to open the device details screen.
4. Fill out the asset information
Label (Required) – This is your assets name on the platform (e.g. Vehicle identifier/asset number, nickname, rego etc.)
Rego (Required) – Asset registration (Licence plate number)
ODO (Required) – Current odometer reading
Runtime (optional) – Engine hours
5. Start vehicle ignition and idle the vehicle
6. Confirm device activation by using the device health field to check its current status
Not Deployed: Click refresh button to run the device online check. Give the device several minutes to come online. If the device continues to appear as not deployed – contact support.
Online: Device is activated and you can proceed to the next step. Leave this page open, we will return to this for our final step.
Step 5: Securing the Device
Securing the device inside the vehicle
To ensure the device produces accurate data, it’s important to make sure the device is secure and will not move around.
Locate a suitable and safe firm mounting location, away from any pedals or moving parts. It must be rigid eg. the chassis or a framing bracket.
Securely fasten the device using at least two Zip-ties. Using double sided velcro to compliment the zip ties is also strongly recommended.
Ensure that the sticker side of the device faces away from your mounting point (ensure the label is visible.)
Test to make sure it will not wiggle or move. This will help to ensure data quality.
Step 6: Document and complete your install
Now the device is securely mounted please provide images of the installation. You will be able to view these later and they will aid with future support and troubleshooting.
- Use your mobile device to take photos of:
- The device’s label/barcode showing the device IMEI
- The securely mounted device (2 zip ties)
- Vehicle’s VIN plate
- Vehicle dashboard clearly showing the ODO reading
- Vehicle license plate
- Return the Fleetsu installer portal on your mobile device
- Return to the device details screen
- Select the ‘Docs’ tab at the bottom of the screen
- Select ‘Choose file’ which will open the file browser/camera roll on your device
- Select the images from your camera roll/photo library and upload
- Click complete install button to finalise the installation process.